Skip to main content

Royal Eggnog Fudge: A Learning Process


Recently, I attempted to create my first Royal eggnog fudge;however it didn't exactly come out as I hoped it would.It didn't set well enough to hold up as a fudge and a mistake must of happened during the process.
However; Jane Sharrock has always mentioned that anytime you start candy-making there will be errors that occur and everyday is an learning process.This is very true in the aspect of this recipe and that can be quite frustrating when it doesn't turn out as you hoped it would.

However,I still looked though out 300 Best Candy making recipes to find any help and I came across a section titled "What to do with candy -making fails" such as candies that become to soft, sticky or soup like. This helpful little paragraph salvage my soft fudge along with creating a treat just as impressive.


Overall,I was able to take a soft fudge that I thought would have to be thrown away and created,delicious royal eggnog fudge nut balls.The process to make them was as simple as it was describe in the cookbook.All I had to do was keep the fudge mixture chilled ,shape them into round balls and roll them in shredded coconut and chopped pecans.In the end,I kept them chilled in an airtight container and they actually harden more during the process.From that mistake of most likely not cooking the fudge long enough, I was still able to create something just as good.

This eggnog fudge was definitely saved by Jane Sharrock expertise and now I can still enjoy this delicious recipe.Overall,we still have a sweet,white chocolate,eggnog flavored treat that everyone can enjoy.

Although,I will definitely try this recipe again at a later date and see if I can actually hit the fudge stage.However If you are a fudge expert then I recommend you try this recipe and tell me how it turns out for you.


Royal Eggnog Fudge
Yields: 2 1/2 lbs

2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1 cup classic eggnog (non-alcoholic) 
1/4 cup butter
8 ounces(250 g) Lindt white chocolate,chopped
1 jar (7 oz/198g) marshmallow fluff or creme
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup pecan,large pieces


Prepared a glass 9-inch square pan.Greased and parchment paper.


Using a heavy bottom pot,I combined the sugar,cinnamon,nutmeg and cloves.Stirred to blend.


Then I added the eggnog and butter.Bringing the mixture to a boil under medium heat.Then I constantly stirred with a wooden spoon,until the mixture reached the soft ball stage,using a candy thermometer.

 
Then I removed the pot off the heat and stirred in the white chocolate,until melted. Then I added the marshmallow fluff and vanilla,stirring till smooth.

Note:
My fudge didn't seem to cook long enough at this step,through it reached the soft ball stage on the thermometer.The mistake must of been that the thermometer wasn't submerged enough to read properly and I used to big of a pot,hence creating a fudge to soft to set.

Maybe,you will have better luck creating this actual eggnog fudge.

 
Then I added the large pieces of pecan and gently stirred them in.


Then I quickly poured the mixture into the prepared pan and let cool,until ready to cut into squares.Stored in an airtight container.


Candy Making Fail:

If the fudge doesn't set and is to soft.Chill the fudge mixture,shape them into round balls and roll them in shredded coconut,chopped pecans or choice of chopped nut.Then place them in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...