Skip to main content

Best Of Bridge Holiday Classics:Squares


It's only six more days till Christmas and now we really need to cram in our to do lists.We all have that last minute shopping as well as decorating to finish;however if you are like me the most important part is squeezing in sometime for baking to share with family and friends.


So if you need some special treats to dazzle your guests this Christmas.I can definitely help you out in that department with highly recommending some delicious holiday squares.These squares are quick to fit in every ones schedule and are worry free.Just think about how impressed your guests will be when you serve them sweet and tart cranberry squares along with dark chocolate raspberry truffle squares. I think I might of convinced you already?

If I haven't ? Then you will be, when I mention that each of these recipes are great for any level of baker and are very budget friendly.Who can say no to that? The recipes are also straight to the point along with giving tips when necessary.They deliver exactly as promised and not to mention the bridge ladies have never steered me wrong, .They are all about creating delicious gourmet recipes that are simple for all of us to master.


Though the best part of all about these recipes are there splendid balance of flavor,appearance and texture.The cranberry squares are a delightful combination of sweet and tart, along with a caramelized topping and a wonderfully buttery crust.The overall image is vibrant and classic. While the truffle squares are as decadent as you can get with rich dark chocolate paired with sweet raspberry jam.They are pure bliss with a brownie base that is being compared to fudge, along with a creamy, chocolate topping sprinkled with fresh raspberries. This has become my favorite among the recipes because it is so simple to make and overall is the fanciest dessert.These delicious squares acquire a big two thumbs from me.Also,I highly recommend you serve these treats this Christmas or even as a gift.They are definitely to die for. So hurry, hurry! And create your treats. 



Cranberry Squares


Crust

1/2 cup cold unsalted or salted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour

Filling

1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Crust

I cut the butter into the sugar and flour in a medium sized bowl using a pastry blender,until it resembled bread crumbs. Tip: Can use a food processor.


Then I patted the crumbs into an 8 inch square pan evenly and baked it for 15-20 minutes,until golden brown.

Filling

 
In a saucepan, I cooked the frozen cranberries and 1/4 cup brown sugar together over medium-high heat until the berries were softened and the skin began to pop,about 10 minutes.Then I let it cool off the heat.Don't bother thawing the cranberries.


In a large bowl,I beat the eggs with a whisk and gradually added the brown sugar.Beating until thickened.Then I added the vanilla,beating in.



In a small bowl, I combined the flour,baking powder and salt.I added the dry mixture to the egg mixture,beating in.



Then I stirred in the cooled cranberry mixture and spread the batter over the cooked crust.


I then bake it at 350 F for 35- 40 minutes,until golden brown on top and toothpick came out clean.Do Not Overbake!




Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Squares



Base

3 1-oz squares unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup raspberry jam
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour

Topping

2 tbsp heavy or whipping cream
2 tbsp raspberry jam
2 tbsp butter
4 1-oz squares semisweet chocolate,chopped
1 cup fresh raspberries 

Base

 
I preheated the oven to 350F and lined a 8 inch glass square pan with foil,greased it thoroughly and set it aside.


I combined chocolate,butter and jam in a small saucepan.On low heat,stirring until melted and smooth.Then removed it from the heat.

 
Then in a medium bowl, I beat the eggs with a whisk,until foamy.Then I mixed in the sugar,vanilla and chocolate mixture.I also stirred in the flour,just until blended.


Then lastly I spread the batter evenly on the pan and baked for 35 minutes,until set.Cooled completely on a rack.


Topping

I chopped up the semisweet chocolate,setting aside.I then combined the cream,jam and butter in a saucepan,Heated until simmer,stirred until melted.Then I removed it from the heat and added the chocolate,stirring until smooth.I let it stand for about 30 minutes, until cool and soft.


Then I quickly spread the topping over the brownie base evenly and sprinkled the fresh raspberry on top.Then I chilled the brownies until cold and cut them into small squares.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...