Skip to main content

Creepy Crawly Spider Web Cookies


Halloween is approaching quickly and were all putting our last touch ups on our costumes and decorations.However what would Halloween be without a homemade treat for your family and friends to enjoy.So to help out in that department I have a creepy and crawly treat that kids will love to get involved with and adults alike.These will surely impress your party guests and creativity is endless with these treats.


These spooky Spider Web Cookies can be creepy cute to darn right gruesome.Its all what you make of it and how far you want to go with your creative side.The cookies are super easy to make,along with baking quickly.Although its all about the decorating of these spider webs that make them unique and spooky.I just loved the challenge of creating my own webs and sharing my passion with family and friends

In the end the spooky webs were wonderfully vibrant and bold,along with many compliments in the decorating.Though the best part of all was the delightful buttery and soft texture that instantly melts in your mouth.This is exactly what you are looking for in a sugar cookie along with a creamy and sweet icing.
 


This is definitely what you should make this Halloween because its simple,impressive and creative.Its also budget friendly and super adaptable.That means you can double the recipe if you desire or even change the colors.The ideas are endless!



Spider Web Cookies


  (Spider Web Cookie adapted From Wilton Roll-Out Cookies)

Optional:Double the measurements yields 36-40 cookies. (Photos represent a doubled recipe)

Original recipe below make 18-20 cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 3/4 cups
all-purpose flour  

1 teaspoon baking powder  
1 teaspoon salt 



With my kitchen aid mixer,I creamed the softened butter and sugar,until light and fluffy.I then added the egg and extracts,until combined.


Then with a large mixing bowl,I mixed together the flour,baking powder and salt.


Then I gradually added the flour to the butter mixture,mixing after each addition.Do not chill dough.Divide into 2 balls,( If doubling divide into 4 balls)



Preheat the oven to 350F.On my glass surface,I dusted it with flour and roll each ball into a circle about 12 inch to 1/8 inch thick.I dipped the web cookie cutter in flour before using.


I placed parchment paper on my cookie sheets and baked the web cookies for about 10 minutes or less, until golden brown around the edges. I created the tiny spiders making sure to have enough for each web.They baked for about 5 minutes or less until golden  brown around the edges and were baked on a seperate sheet from the webs.




Buttercream Icing 
Recipe adapted from Wiltons Buttercream Icing
4 cookie balls (doubling cookie recipe) : Needs 1 batch and then another half batch icing.
 2 cookies balls (original cookie recipe):Needs about 1 batch (original recipe below)

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter,softened  
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar  
2 tablespoons milk



With my kitchenaid mixer,I beat the shortening and butter with electric mixer,until light and fluffy.




I gradually added the sugar,one cup at a time,beating well on medium speed.



Then I slowly added the milk,beating in it at medium speed,until light and fluffy.Then I covered the bowl with a damp cloth,until ready to use 

I decorated the webs with white icing and let them set to harden.The rest of the icing is for creating a large batch of black icing for the black web, then smaller batches of red,blue and orange for the spiders.  

I used a wiltons piping bag with a plain piping tip to create the black webs.Then I used 3 more piping bags for the seperated colors, using the plain piping tips for the spiders.

Then I placed the candy eyes on each spider and with a little icing on the back of each,placed it on the web.Then I let them set on a cookie rack and placed them in the fridge to harden.




If there ends up being more icing leftover,then use it for added detail to the cookies or if you have time make a quick cupcake recipe and use up the colored icing.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...