Skip to main content

Start Of The New Year!


So with one year behind us and another already beginning.Lets start this new year of 2014, the right way? By me sharing a recipe with all of you,especially an unique treat that you may be really excited about or be completely turned off.Your choice?

This recipe has been something I have wanted to experiment with for a very long time and I thought wouldn't it be just fitting to start this year with something brand new. Well, I have finally made this treat and throughout the years I have always wondered if this combination would be any good.Why? Because this treat includes ingredients you wouldn't normally see together;however are adored by many separately.Just think about this sentence? Strips of delicious crispy bacon with dark chocolate chips in a soft, chewy cookie.Not something you would generally think about together,right? Well, I have seen this combination many times in recipes and heard rave reviews.So this may not be every one's cup of tea,however I am all about the experiments.


So for me, I took on this challenge and what I did was picked one of my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes.From there I flipped it upside its head by adding bacon that has been lathered in brown sugar.Sounds odd, right? Well from my research many people sweetened their bacon with brown sugar for this particular recipe.So I took that advice to heart and created my own maple bacon.This help create a sweet and salty crisp bacon that became surprisingly easy to adapt into the simple cookie recipe.No difficulties about it,its basically just adding another favorite treat.

 Also throughout this recipe,I thought what would bacon really bring to an already delicious chocolate chip cookie like this one.So I thought well the strong salt aspect of bacon must enhance the flavor of the chocolate and bring a unique texture to the overall cookie.Well surprisingly with two cups of dark chocolate chips to 7 pieces of chopped bacon bits.The meat is no where overpowering and actually lets the chocolate shine through.I can definitely notice with every bite that I take, that the chocolate actually has a more pronounce flavor and the bacon brings a chewy factor to the treat.Overall,this is a really soft,chewy texture cookie with a strong chocolate flavor.I also think that its possible to decrease the chocolate chips and let the bacon stand out more.Because who doesn't love bacon!?  Not Me! So I give this recipe two thumbs up since it is one of my favorites and bacon just makes it better.


Overall, this was a great experiment and I will keep tweaking the recipe until it perfect.However for now I'll still share the recipe with all of you because its still delicious and I still want you to add your own ideas into the mix.Maybe a different bacon or chocolate? Anyways, this sounds like its gonna be a good year, full of delicious experiences.I'm so excited to see what this year will bring.


The Recipe


 Soft And Chewy Maple Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour  
1/2 tsp baking soda  
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature  
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1 cup brown sugar  
1 tsp salt 
2 tsps vanilla extract  
2 lg eggs 2 cups semisweet chips 
7 Strips bacon
2 tbsp brown sugar

Preparing Bacon


I preheated the oven to 350F.Then I placed parchment paper on a greased cookie sheet.Then I placed seven strips of bacon on the prepared pan and carefully sprinkled the brown sugar on each.Then with a spoon,I spreaded the sugar all over each strip.


Then I placed the bacon into the oven, until bacon was crisp and fully cooked.About 20-30 minutes.The parchment paper will darken due to the sugar and will become wet. 


Once cooked,I transferred the bacon strips on to a paper towel to drain.I only drained the strips for a short time since the bacon is quite sticky.  Then I placed them on a plate to completely cool.Once cooled,I chopped them into small pieces and set them aside.


Cookie Dough


In a medium bowl,I whisked the flour and baking soda together,setting it aside.


With my kitchen aid mixer with the paddle attachment,I creamed the butter and both sugars together on medium speed, until light and fluffy.Then on low speed I added the salt,vanilla and eggs,mixing well.Then I added the flour mixture,until just combined.


Then I stirred in the chocolate chips and bacon bits.


Then I placed heaping tbsp size balls of dough onto a parchment paper prepared cookie sheet.Then I baked the cookies for 8-10 minutes,until golden around the edges and still very soft in the center.Then let them cool on the sheet for a couple minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to completely cool.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...