Skip to main content

Classic Snacks Made From Scratch: Celebrate Canada With A Cold Sweet Treat This Week!


Happy Canada Day!

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer weather we are having in B.C and celebrated Canada day in their own way.So in my own way to celebrate, I'm sharing a cold treat to beat the heat,this week!

 photo IMG_0428_zps27097225.jpg

Now, for a cold treat everyone has their favourite's to indulge, during the summer.These could be ice cream sandwiches,fudgesicles,creamsicles, pudding pops or maybe even Klondike bars.Now with Classic Snacks Made From Scratch, you can make all of these treats, plus more with just an ice cream maker and simple ingredients.Did I get your attention now? Well, if I did? Then keep on reading because you might be quite interested in making the recipe, I tested.

 photo IMG_0364_zps0238a82b.jpg

Now,for anyone that has been following my reviews on Classic Snacks, you will know that all these recipes are home-made versions of brand name products.So the cold treat that I tested is based on the pudding pop by popsicle and Jello,which seem to be no longer on the market and no where to be found on popsicle's website.So with never hearing about this product and never trying it. I won't be able to compare the home-made to the original;however I definitely invite everyone to test this recipe who have tried the original and let me know.

So with that covered,lets get into the review of these pudding pop's.So what are they exactly? Well they are simply a frozen treat made with pudding, such as chocolate and vanilla.They can also be one whole flavour or be combined as two flavours.Now the recipe that I tested is very simple to follow with detailed instructions and uses very inexpensive ingredients.It also uses very little equipment and is the only recipe in the chapter that doesn't need an ice cream maker for the freezing process.This is great for anyone that doesn't own one,just like me.

 photo IMG_0376_zps60bcc72a.jpg

Now,the making of the pudding is a very simple process for both the chocolate and the vanilla.However I will warn you now that it is a watching and waiting game.This means you will have to be watchful of overcooking the pudding and you will have to wait for setting. Overcooking can happen very fast and if it does its time to redo the pudding from scratch a second time.Meaning more time being spent cooking and less time getting closer to taste testing a frozen treat.So be careful when making this pudding and be sure to have the time and patience for the recipe.

So, now on to the fun part,the assembling.This is where the creativity happens and everyone can join in and take part.You can now create your own designs from swirls,multiple layers,add-on and whatever you can think up for your unique pudding pop.For me, I went the simple route with making one and two layer pudding pop's,however I definitely recommend to try some designs and just go wild with your imagination.Also,this recipe has kids written all over it, so be sure to get them involved in the process of assembling and of course eating.

Now on to the best part,the taste testing.Well this is definitely a cold treat that is satisfying with its smooth and icy texture.The flavour of these pudding pops hold up quite well with creating a sweetness and balance of flavour from the chocolate and vanilla.My favourite was the vanilla part of the pudding pop and came off as a stronger flavour in my opinion;however both balanced each other out when in layers.In the end,it was a smooth,sweet pudding pop that can beat the heat of any summer and matter of fact enjoyable any time of the season.Try it out yourself!

 photo IMG_0398_zps64b008c2.jpg

Pudding Pop's

Yields: 6-8 pops ( depends on size)
Difficulty: 2
Equipment: Popsicle molds or 5 oz dixie cups and popsicle sticks
Total Time: 30 minutes plus 2 to 6 hours for chilling (Varies)

 photo IMG_0329_zpsb16c9ec8.jpg

Vanilla Pudding Base

1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups whole milk(or 2%)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate Pudding Base:

1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups whole milk ( or 2%)

Make The Vanilla Pudding:

 photo 2013-06-04001_zpsc3250555.jpg
 photo IMG_0344_zps0c91da42.jpg

I whisked the sugar,cornstarch and salt in a heavy bottom saucepan/pot. I slowly whisked in the milk and brought it to a simmer over medium heat.I stirred constantly,to prevent the milk from burning on the bottom. ( If left alone it will burn very quickly)
When the liquid began to bubble furiously, I stirred it until opaque and thickened.( The recipe says stir for a minute, but it was longer for me to begin thickening)

 photo IMG_0350_zps52493f9b.jpg

Once it's thickened, remove from the heat and pour it into a bowl, then stir in the vanilla.After ,cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerated it for at least 4 hours.( Do not freeze it!, I did that for the majority of the four hours, once I figured out I goofed I had to thaw it out for at least 30 minutes and whisk.) It didn't damage any of the pudding it just took away time.Remember it is going to be frozen any ways. Its just not good when you can't add it to the cups until its thawed and smooth again.

  photo 2013-06-040011_zpsccd4f108.jpg

Make Chocolate Pudding

 photo 2013-06-040012_zps5f229b37.jpg

I whisked the sugar,cornstarch,cocoa powder (pre-sifted) and salt in a heavy bottom saucepan/pot. I slowly whisked in the milk and brought it to a simmer over medium heat.I stirred constantly,to prevent the milk from burning on the bottom. ( If left alone it will burn very quickly)When the liquid began to bubble furiously, I stirred it until opaque and thickened.(The recipe says stir for a minute, but it was longer for me to begin thickening)

 photo 2013-06-040013_zpsb1a4bdb1.jpg
   
Once it's thickened, remove from the heat and pour it into a bowl, then stir in the vanilla.After ,cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerated it for at least 4 hours.(Do not freeze it!, I did that for the majority of the four hours, once I figured out I goofed I had to thaw it out for at least 30 minutes and whisk.) It didn't damage any of the pudding it just took away time.Remember it is going to be frozen any ways. Its just not good when you can't add it to the cups until its thawed and smooth again.

 photo 2013-06-040014_zps3af0cc15.jpg

Assemble The Pops

 photo IMG_0358_zps8c0ae319.jpg
 photo IMG_0359_zps4eb4cc4b.jpg  

Pour the chilled pudding bases into the 8 wide mouths 4 ounces popsicle molds or 5 oz dixie cups in your preferred combination.If your using the dixie the cups (or clear cups) be sure to let chill for 1 hour before inserting the wooden popsicle sticks.

 photo IMG_0360_zps4cc28c46.jpg

Once fully chilled,Put the cup under warm water for a few second,until able to pop the treat out of the cup.Serve.

 photo IMG_0361_zps47711e7c.jpg

 You can store these popsicles in the freezer for up to a month in an airtight container.If they are not going to last long just leave them in the molds or cups while in the freezer.Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing your ideas and opinions, so join in the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...