Skip to main content

Classic Snacks Made From Scratch:Chapter One: Oreo Cookies

 photo IMG_8895_zps49f18056.jpg

Don't you think Cookies are the perfect choice for the beginning of Classic Snacks Made From Scratch cookbook? Well I definitely think so! This chapter includes some pretty creative homemade recipes such as Animal crackers,Mallomars, Nutter butters and even the beloved Oreo cookie.

So now that I have mentioned just a few of these treats.How do we narrow down what we really want to test out. Well I think the best way is to look for the key components, which are affordability,difficulty level and favorites.So with these tips I chose to make the homemade Oreo,which is such an iconic cookie that it must of been a big challenge for the author to recreate.These are a cookie I rarely indulge in and are always a special treat.So with these versions I know they will have lower calories and none of those pesky preservatives to the original.However we still have to find out if these homemade versions really meet the challenge of the famous cookie.
 
So was Casey able to succeed the challenge? We will soon find out.
 
  photo IMG_9019_zps08e08396.jpg

When I made this recipe I found that the directions were quite detailed where everything was easily explained.I can see everyone at any baking level able to create these cookies.This is an attribute I definitely look for in an author where they are able to connect to a variety of readers and no one feels left out. All I know is were not all mind readers or professionals when it comes to baking and we all need some helpful tips as we go.

This is also a recipe where you really need time and patients.So just make sure you give yourself a lot of time,especially if this is your first time ever making an Oreo version.This is because making the dough,chilling,rolling,cutting,baking and assembling all take their time.However the directions make all these steps quite smooth to follow and the photos I added to the recipe make the process even easier. This recipe was a lot of fun to create and the assembling was the best part. I give a big thumb up for description and tips throughout this recipe.

 photo IMG_8899_zps6a66e71f.jpg

Now for the moment we've all been waiting for.Did these homemade cookie's really measure up? Well I was surprised how deliciously similar these were that I feel they are better then the original.Why you might ask? Well these homemade versions have all the same flavor and texture attributes;however they have no preservatives and no aftertaste compare to the original.They were so delicious that I have to give this cookie a two thumbs up.

This recipe made a lot of cookies and everyone really loved them.They ate them with milk,coffee and even hot chocolate.Everyone was certainly impressed and are now excited to try out some more treats from Classic Snacks. Enjoy!

 photo IMG_8912_zps3cb9493f.jpg

The Recipe

Oreos

 photo IMG_8765_zpse69cc452.jpg

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 oz Semisweet chocolate,coarsely chopped (a scant 1/3 cup) (My Tip: Bakers Chocolate, Two squares)
8 tbsp or 4 oz chilled unsalted butter,cut into cubes
1/2 cup vegetable shortening ( Doesn't specify original or golden)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs

Filling

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
2 tbsp whole or reduced fat milk
1 tbsp vegetable shortening (Doesn't specify original or golden) 

 photo IMG_8768_zpsd40d749d.jpg

 I whisked the flour,cocoa powder,baking soda,baking powder and salt together in a large metal bowl until no lumps remain.I set it aside until use.

  photo 2013-03-17002_zps07efab63.jpg

I used baker chocolate semisweet, 2 bars equal 2 ounces.I coarsely chopped the chocolate with a bread knife and place in a small sauce pan to melt over low heat,stirring constantly until liquefied.Then I set it aside to cool slightly.

 photo 2013-03-170021_zps4bcf931d.jpg

To measure the chilled unsalted butter.Well 8 tbsps equals 120ml. So I measured 125ml or 1/2 cup and then weighed it on a scale to measure in ounces and remove butter until it reached 4 ounces.If you don't have a scale measure 125ml/1/2cup and remove 1 tsp from the butter.

 photo 2013-03-170022_zps64a9ae0d.jpg

With my kitchen-aid mixer using a paddle attachment.I creamed the butter,shortening,and sugar on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.Then on low speed I added the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding the next egg.

 photo 2013-03-170023_zpsab4f4bb1.jpg

I poured in the melted chocolate and mixed until combined on low speed.Then I added the dry ingredients and mixed until soft dough forms.Soft dough will develop very quickly with a stand mixer.

 photo 2013-03-17001_zps638c24fb.jpg

I shaped the soft dough into 2 discs of roughly equal size and wrapped with plastic wrap. I Refrigerate the dough for more then an hour until firm.You can prepare pan with parchment paper or silpat mat.I used my silpat pat with my half sheet.Once the dough was firm I removed the dough from the fridge and preheated the oven to 375F.

Then I rolled out one of the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut out 1 1/2 inch cookies.You can use a cookie round or biscuit cutter.I made my own cookie cutter stencil with card stock and cut the shape with a knife.Then I place the rounds on the baking sheet and baked for 12 minutes exactly,until cookies were slightly crisp on the edges and puffed up on top and still pliable in the center.Cool completely on wire rack before filling.Repeat these steps for the remaining dough.

Filling and Assembling

 photo 2013-03-170011_zps5c8b04fc.jpg

Using my kitchen-aid mixer with the paddle attachment.I mixed the powder sugar,corn syrup,milk and shortening on low speed until combined,for about 30 seconds. I increased the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds more to whip slightly.However it was a little too thick so I added 1 tsp of milk to create a smoother icing.

Then I used a flat icing spatula to spread about 1 tsp of icing to a cooled flat side cookie.If you want a double stuff cookie the author say to double the icing recipe if your an icing lover.I think Ill have to take that offer next time I make these.Then top with a second cookie flat side down,squeeze together slightly.Repeat to fill all cookies.

 photo 2013-03-170012_zps0360dc52.jpg

It says these cookies can stay at room temp in an airtight container for up to a week.However I left mine in the fridge because these are so good cold.

Comments

  1. I just made them. I was really disappointed in the flavor. They were attractive and crispy but just nowhere like an oreo. What a waste of time, effort, and money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwws.... Thats too bad and Im sad to hear about that.Anyways,I still think this recipe for Oreo's is pretty good in my opinion and I think people looking for something better then Oreo's or a homemade version is the closest your going to get thrse processed cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing your ideas and opinions, so join in the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...