Skip to main content

Homemade Baked Doughnut!

Wow!  January has already come to an end and now were full throttle into February.That means Valentine Day is coming up close and everyone must be excited to test out their recipes.I definitely excited and already have my recipe plan out to make for the special love day;however for now I have a little treat,big treat to share with all of you. Can you guess it?

Well If your a Facebook follower to my page you may remember me mentioning in January that I finally found my precious doughnut pan.Well I also forgot to mention that I found a long john twist doughnut pan as well.So I thought I share with all of you here a photo of the two unique pan and if your interested in getting one for yourself, Wilton's sells them online and in Micheal's Craft Stores.


So now with all this talk about doughnuts, your probably wondering If I made any? Well recently I  tested out Wilton's Basic doughnut recipe that is offered with each pan.I chose to make these recipes first so I could learn how the pans work before diving into more complicated recipes.So for these two doughnuts I chose to review them together since their directly from Wilton's and are made with similar recipes.

So when I began making each doughnut recipe I found that the directions were very easy to understand, along with the ingredients being easy to find and cheap to buy.I also found both recipes  had many similarities like I mentioned above.The ingredients and the overall product in texture and flavor were spot on.While the measurements and directions were completely different because each pan has a different shape and size.Meaning the long john twist will have a higher measurement in flour, sugar etc.


Now the key flavor components used in these doughnuts are nutmeg and buttermilk.They are what help create that aromatic and buttery flavor.They are no way overpowering to the overall doughnut;however I feel they are a little plain tasting on their own and just maybe a few more spices will help it out.I can even see these recipes being easily adapted to fit your own liking.Now with that being said its not totally bad to have a doughnut that is plain tasting because that means you have the opportunity to test out an array of different toppings.For me I did just that by testing out all the topping Wilton's had offered me such as vanilla glaze,chocolate glaze, cinnamon sugar and icing sugar.I even added my own touches with white chocolate and sprinkles to create unique designs.


Now the textures to the doughnuts were very moist and crumbly while being somewhat dense.They didn't exactly meet to close to a deep fried version;however I was surprised with how great they held out in their exterior for decorating.When they were fully finished they look exactly like the deep fried version and I had a lot of fun designing each and every one of them.

 So overall I really like these baked doughnut because they work so well with all the different toppings and helps highlight all the flavors.I do recommend this recipe for people just starting out making baked doughnut just like me and using it as a basic outline to bring your own ideas to it.I'm excited to try out more recipes for baked doughnuts and if anyone knows a really good recipe for me to test out.Just comment below or on my Facebook page if that's easier! Enjoy and have fun!



Baked Cake Doughnut (Wilton Recipe)

(Made two batches to make 24+ doughnuts)

Yield:12

2 cups cake flour,sifted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp butter,melted

Preheat oven to 425.Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a lg bowl,sift flour,sugar,baking powder,nutmeg and salt.Add buttermilk, eggs and melted butter,beat until just combined. Can make your own buttermilk with milk and lemon juice, let sit for 10 minutes.

Fill each doughnut cup approximately 2/3 full.Bake 7-9 minutes or until tops spring-back.Let cool in pan for 4-5 minutes before removing.Doughnut are best served fresh.Kept in airtight container at room temp.

Toppings:

Cinnamon Sugar

2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter,melted

In a bowl stir together the sugar and cinnamon.Dip doughnuts in melted butter and roll in the sugar mixture to coat.

Chocolate Glaze

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp butter 
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1-2 tsp water

In medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips,butter and corn syrup for 1 minute.Stirring until melted.Stir in 1 tsp hot water,until the glaze is thick and smooth.Add another tsp hot water if the glaze is too thick.Use right away to glaze doughnuts.

Icing Sugar

Add 2/3 cup icing sugar to a resealable plastic bag and add doughnut,close the bag and shake to coat.Repeat.


My Ideas:

  • Chocolate sprinkles
  • Red And Green sprinkles
  • Melted white chocolate for drizzling

Baked Doughnut Twist (Wilton Recipe)

Yield: 6

6 tbsp butter,softened
1 cup granulated
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat to 350F.Spray dough twist pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add eggs one at a time,mixing well after.Add vanilla extract.

In another bowl,sift together flour,baking soda,nutmeg and salt.Add half of the dry mixture to the butter mixture,mix until nearly combined.Add buttermilk and remaining dry ingredients,mixing until incorporated.Do not overmix!

Fill 2/3 full and bake 18 -22 minutes, until spring back and toothpick comes clean.Cool in pan for 5 minutes.Remove from cooling rack.Kept in airtight container at room temp.

Icing Sugar Glaze

1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In lg bowl,whisk all ingredients together until incorporated.Dip doughnuts in glaze.Let set or decorate.

Cinnamon Sugar Topping


3 tbsp granulated sugar

2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp unsalted butter,melted

Stir together sugar and cinnamon.Dip doughnuts in melted butter and sprinkle all over with cinnamon sugar mixture.Let set.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...