Skip to main content

The Artisan Soda Workshop Final Review :Fizzy Teas,Floats And Alcohol Enhanced Dazzlers


The next chapter after "Seasonal Studs" is called  "Aqua Fresca And Shrubs". These sodas are all about utilizing watery fruits and shrubs to create unique drinks. This chapter however includes too many ingredients that are either expensive or too hard to find.So instead of making a recipe from this section I chose to wrap up the entire review with the last chapter called "Fizzy Teas,Floats And Alcohol Enhanced Dazzlers" .This includes some of the more grown up fun drink to try out!

So in this chapter,It explains to me that all these recipes are about going beyond the basics.By making unique soda's by using ingredients such as tea,coffee, chocolate and strong alcohol etc.So your probably wondering what choice I made for a recipe review.Well to be perfectly I ended up making  two different recipes that both have the same important component.If you guessed that it has something to do with chocolate then your, totally right.I ended up making a chocolate soda and a Kahlua Egg Cream.They both had something in common;however with totally different conclusions.

The recipes themselves I thought were very simple to follow with pretty basic ingredients.The drinks however had completely opposite turn outs, meaning one was very good and the other just really didn't measure up to my expectations.The one that I was quite disappointed in and surprised with was the chocolate soda.It had a dark chocolate flavor that I was expecting;however it lacked sweetness and was quite bitter.I felt that If I had a better quality cocoa powder on hand it would of been less bitter and so a redo may be the cards. I also feel that the sugar really needed to be played around with in this recipe to find a better balance.In the end, I didn't have a good experience with this specific soda,so it does get a poor mark from me.


However I was lucky enough in this review to have a successful experience in this chapter by making Kahlua Egg Cream.This grown up soda includes the same important ingredients as the chocolate soda,chocolate syrup;however the coffee liqueur helps it so much in the flavor department.The ingredients in this recipe work so well together to balance out the bitterness and bring sweetness.In the end I had a rich bittersweet combination with a creamy texture.This drink was really easy to make and would be great for the holidays. This recipe gets a really good mark from me.


Overall, I am very happy I ended with a successful recipe from "The Artisan Soda Workshop", especially since I have had more disappoints throughout this book.This cookbook is full of creative ideas and did inspire me to make my own soda's;however three successes out of seven sort of turns me off from this book.Overall, this book sent me some mixed messages and I thought I would of got my strong bold flavors with these drink.So, in the end its hard to give this a book a mark so I'll just give it a 1 1/2 since I did find three good recipes and will be making them again.

So, I hope you enjoyed my review for The Artisan Soda Workshop and I hope you tune in for more Dairyland reviews. 


The Recipes

Chocolate Syrup &Kahlua Egg Cream


3/4 cup water
1/3 cup goo quality natural process unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup raw cane sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract



To a medium heavy bottom pot, I added the cold water.


Using a sifter,sifted in 1/3 cup of cocoa powder to the cold water.



Added the 1/4 cup raw cane sugar to the cocoa mixture.

 Then lastly, I added the vanilla extract and then let It boil over high heat, until thickened.

 Boiled it for about 2- 4 minutes and stirred it vigorously to combine.

Removed it from heat and let it cool completely.


 Refrigerate in a cover airtight container for up to 7 days.

To make the chocolate soda: Add 2 tbsps of syrup to 10 ounces of carbonated water. I recommend adding more syrup.

Kahlua Egg Cream

1/4 cup of Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
1 tbsp chocolate syrup
1 tbsp cream
3/4 cup carbonated water

In a tall glass combine the Kahlua,chocolate syrup,and cream.Stir to combine thoroughly.Top with seltzer and gently stir if needed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...