Skip to main content

Artisan Soda Workshop + Dairyland Review:Orange Creamsicle


The second syrup that I tried from The Artisan Soda Workshop Cookbook was the recipe for Orange Cream syrup, in the copy cat chapter.This specific syrup is to resemble one of the favorite treats as a child and mind you probably still is,the beloved orange creamsicle. Now, I had my doubts that this would taste anything like a orange creamsicle,especially since I have never had it as a carbonated drink. However there was no way I was going to pass up on this recipe because this was my chance to finally use my vanilla ice cream made with Dairyland products in an recipe.So I dived into the recipe and I became more and more convinced that this might be something quite special.

When I made this syrup recipe I found that it was pretty quick and easy to make and great for anyone at any cooking level.I also found that there was very little preparation needed beside grating an orange and the ingredients were very simple.To be more specific, I only needed five ingredients, using orange zest,orange juice,raw cane sugar, vanilla ice cream and carbonated water to create the unique syrup.I was actually quite surprised that just these ingredients would create an orange creamsicle drink, and when the syrup was done I was excited to see the end result.

When I prepared the drink I made sure to use one of my fancy glasses,which definitely paid off.I poured my carbonated water and then stir in my syrup.For appearance, it automatically created a bubbly foam on top of the orange carbonated fruit drink. It was was quite fancy looking and just that will already impress the friends and family.Now for flavor, which is the most important part and I have to be perfectly honest with this I was thoroughly impressed.It was spot on to an actual orange creamsicle and it might be even better.Its foam was slightly sweet, with an airy and light texture.While the drink it self was full of orange flavor and delightedly smooth and creamy.I loved it and everyone was impressed by its flavor and appearance.I can this being a great drink to serve at parties and if your someone that wants to shake it up a bit add you choice of alcohol.The ideas can be endless. 

So for my end result I give this recipe two thumbs up for its simplicity and flavor.I also give two thumbs up to the homemade vanilla ice cream made with Dairy land products in helping with creating the smooth, creamy and rich flavor for this drink.It be nothing without it! So If your someone that loves orange creamiscles,fancy drinks or just vanilla ice cream then I definitely recommend checking out this recipe.

So, for my next syrup review, I will dive into a recipe that's in the next chapter.Soda adventures with herbs and spices.

Enjoy!



Orange-Cream Syrup

Zest of 1 orange
2 cups orange juice with extra pulp
1/2 cups raw cane sugar
1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream

Medium pot
Airtight container
Wooden spoon
Grater
Measuring cups
Liquid measure


Clean one large orange and grate to use the zest.Add the orange zest to a medium pot.



Measure 2 cups of orange juice with a liquid measure and pour into the medium pot.


Measure 1/2 cup of raw cane sugar and add with the orange juice and zest.Put on high heat and bring to a boil, stir till all sugar is dissolved.


Let the liquid cook until it reduces to 1 cup,about 8-10 minutes.


You can measure it a couple times with a liquid measure to see the progress.


Once it hits the spot, remove from the heat and add the vanilla ice cream to the warm liquid to melt,stirring helps.



Let the liquid cool before use.It helps to cool faster if you put it in the container right away, uncovered.Once cooled put it in the fridge to chill a bit longer.


Once cooled, prepare your drink by pouring 3/4 cup (6 oz) of carbonated water or seltzer to a glass cup and then stir in 1/4 cups of orange cream syrup.If the carbonated water is fresh then it will look like this below.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...