Skip to main content

Halloween week! Here's Peanut Butter and Chocolate


The combination of peanut butter and chocolate is a big favorite around Halloween, especially the popular Reese's cups. I have never been a big fan of Reese's and I can actually recall always trading mine after trick or treating. However strangely enough I love chocolate and peanut butter together in baking.

Anyways, I couldn't miss out making something with this combination for the Halloween week.So I started with making peanut butter thumbnail cookies and from their I filled each with milk chocolate chips to create a nest affect. I have never seen any eggs shaped like mini Hershey kisses, but its good to be imaginative in the kitchen. 

These cookies didn't exactly create the thumbnails that I hoped for because they became a little to flat; however I've used this recipe many times in the past and it's still my favorite. This is just a simple peanut butter cookie recipe that will make a large batch of cookies. It also offered other variations in the directions to make peanut butter chocolate chip and peanut butter jelly nests.I used their nest variation and just replaced the jelly with milk chocolate chips.Right now I'm thinking that the chocolate chips were probably not heavy enough to keep a nice deep, indent overtime.Maybe, next time I'll use the large Hershey kisses and use less butter to help out the appearance.


Well regardless of how critical I am on how they look, they sure are delicious.These cookies definitely get high marks from me for flavor and texture. They have a lot of crunch which I love and they definitely need a tall glass of milk to wash them down with. They also have lots of moisture,which means they will never dry.However with this characteristic you do have to be careful how and where you store them.Because in a warm place they will break very easily.So try to store them in the fridge or put them in a cookie jar and place in a cool area.I do have to say peanut butter cookies are the best when cold and with chocolate chip on top like these you will never have to worry about them falling off.They are rich in peanut butter and have that great hint of milk chocolate. Peanut butter cookies are such a simple treat to make and it pleases so many people.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Halloween week. 4 more days till the big day! What do you all have planned?


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Nests 
(Adapted from Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe)

Yields: Over 3 dozen

1 cup butter,softened
1 cup brown sugar ( can use homemade brown sugar, white sugar + 1 tbsp light molasses)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup smooth peanut butter
3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Chocolate Chips (preference on amount)

Beat soft butter and both sugar together in a large bowl.Once fluffy and combined.Beat in eggs, one at a time,till batter is smooth. Mix in peanut butter, thoroughly.

Sift in flour,baking soda and salt.Stir until fully combined. Shape dough using your hands,(smaller then a golf ball) Place each on a ungreased cookie sheet.Press each with your thumb to create an indent.

Bake at 375F and bake for 4-5 minutes.Remove from oven and press each again with your thumb.Bake for another 6-7 minutes.Remove from oven and right away fill each indent with chocolate chips.Place in the oven again for 5-10 seconds till chocolate chips stick and have a glossy surface. Continue till all cookie dough is gone.Place cookies on a rack to cool completely.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...