Skip to main content

Holiday Carrot And Peach Muffins

Here is another Christmas treat heading your way and its something fruity, excellent source of vegetable and tastes great :) It was a challenge for this recipe and I wish I could go back and do it  again so they be a little bite better in appearance. The taste hasn't failed here though and they are top notch for flavor/ texture. Here is what I'm talking about for everyone to understand and it may even help someone out.
 

The recipe looked to me as a pretty basic muffin recipe but looks can be deceiving at times. It can even catch you off guard and you end up making smalls mistakes with simple instructions. Even following a recipe directly doesn't get you the results you wanted, which means you got to do your research and what you have learned in the pasted.

For me I wished I sifted the dry ingredients together evenly;even if the recipe did instruct to only mix them together. If I knew then what I know now about certain vegetables/ fruits being easily affected by certain components in the cooking process I would of prevented it. For you here is a short explanation what happen to me and there is also a good source that gives you more information on the topic.Should help answer your question and prevent it.


Why did carrot shredding become green when cooked in a cake/muffin?



This happen to me with this recipe and I have never seen this before. I found out a few reasons why this happens and what causes it. A blog called " the kitchn" inspiring cooks, nourishing homes"  found out the answer from a book about food and cooking.She explains that the book said that carrots become green while baking if there is to much baking soda added or when the soda is not evenly within the dry. Carrots are very sensitive to PH levels and change the color of the carrots. It's perfectly safe to eat like any normal cake, just for the observing eye may put people off(only seen from inside)


There is also another direction I wish I changed which would have been to fold in the wet ingredients instead of beating it in like the recipe asked because most people know over mixing pretty much a crime for a muffin. You end up with either flat or round tops or worst tunnels within. Strangely this recipe wanted me to beat with a  electric beater which was new to me for a muffin recipe. However I didn't end up with tunnels or really flat tops and ended up with a round top, which is a better result then any of the others.

For next time I'll make the recipe based on my tips since they seem to most likely bring the results I need. They were delicious muffins regardless of the difficulty's,challenges and confusion brought along. Also I got to look on the bright side of things. There are still edible and I ended up with a festive color within the muffin for Christmas, GREEN!, it was the Christmas gremlins( maybe gizmo) lol :D. These muffins made me so peachy because there full of sweet peaches :) ( so corny lol). They were deliciously moist, a great vegetable/ fruit pairing and a excellent Christmas spices, Cinnamon and Nutmeg! love them :)


Stay tune for more Christmas treats!


Carrot And Peach Muffins (Adapted From Carrot Pineapple Muffins, Company Coming For Christmas)
Printable Version
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup Granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup cooking oil(canola)
1 cup finely grated carrots
1 can of half peaches ( about 3 half's(1/2cup), diced well, with a little juice)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix first 6 ingredients in a large bowl ( Tip: For best results and to avoid green carrot: Sift ingredients together in bowl to evenly distribute within the dry and be sure to evenly measure baking soda.)

Add eggs, oil,  shredded carrot, diced peach/juice and vanilla.Beat on low speed until just moistened.( You can do this but your risking having flat, tunneled muffins)(Tip: For best results as a muffin, fold in ingredients until no flour mixture appears.)


Place about 12-14 muffin liners in muffin tins. Spoon into liner about half way fill.

Bake at 350 F for about 20- 25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick test is clean.

Comments

  1. I did not know abt carrots turning green until I read your explanation.

    Thanks for sharing these lovely muffins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had peach in muffins so must give that a go someday. I was interested to read why the carrot here had gone gren whilst baking, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing your ideas and opinions, so join in the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...